EDFN 4201 – Aboriginal Teaching and Learning (2018):

I took EDFN 4201, Aboriginal Teaching and Learning, online, in the summer of 2018. At this time, I was working as a CEA and working to support many Aboriginal students. This course allowed me the opportunity to understand the history of Aboriginal Education in British Columbia, and how that history directly impacts the effective teaching and learning practices for aboriginal students. It reiterated the importance of establishing relationships with the students and families I work with. This course also confirmed to me the importance of infusing indigenous content into all my teaching.

EDMA 3100/3200 – Education Mathematics:

The education mathematics course has taught me a lot about taking a growth mindset approach to the subject of math.  I have gained an understanding that many students, like myself, have felt negative towards the subject of math. Often there is an assumption that math is too hard, and there is a sense of failure before an attempt to understand.  These courses have provided me with an opportunity to see past the “traditional” mindset and to see math, and teaching math, in a new light. The new curriculum allows for teaching in such a way that it can reach many different learning styles successfully.  Inspiring students to gain not only an understanding of content but perhaps a little enjoyment in the subject as well.  

EDSC 3200 – Education Science, and EDSO  3200- Education Social Studies:

The education programs social studies and science courses I have taken have established the power of an inquiry-based teaching approach within these subject areas.  As a student, in both these courses, I have experienced many first-hand samples of interactive lessons. The result was a greater understanding of the why, and a more profound learning experience.  I am excited to include this teaching practice into my teaching as I move through the remaining practicums, and once I am working in the field.

Compilation of science presentation for EDSC 3200: