Response #1: “Flipping Burgers”

In our teaching and learning and educational psychology courses last semester, I, as well as many other students, experienced the willingness of our teacher to review our work before final submission. As a student, much like the ones in Elizabeth’s class, I felt anxiety about being graded on these assignments. I was unsure if I was on the right track, so the feedback I received was not only helpful reassurance, but it allowed me to make changes to my work so that upon final submission, the quality was higher. 

When I read this case study, I didn’t consider the mentor teacher to have learned helplessness. However, I agree that this is a component of the case to consider. He essentially assumed that he was powerless in changing the situation. The truth was, he held all the power. As a teacher, it is our job to strive to empower and motivate our students. If our students lack this motivation, we must be an example of perseverance and rework our lessons as many times as needed for our students to be successful.

Response #2: “The Future is Now”

I agree that the computer has excellent value in the classroom. It brings the ability to research unlimited topics to the fingertips of each student. The internet has taken computers in schools from a typing tool to an encyclopedia of knowledge; no topic is left unavailable to the students (except those deemed inappropriate and blocked, of course). The availability of this knowledge is invaluable. However, I do believe that the tablet is just as valuable. It also provides access to most of the things a computer offers and can come with a keyboard attachment for typing. The bonus of a tablet is that it can be used as a talker for those students that cannot communicate without it. It is a tool used to assist students that may have once been segregated into a classroom alone, with others with similar needs. I recently supported a student who could not move their body, except to type on their iPad with their knuckle. Because of this tool, this student was able to move from classroom to classroom, with full-time CEA support, and complete the same work like all the other students. It was a fantastic experience to spend the day with this student and see the positive impact that this technology had on their life.

Response #3: “Bang Bang”

When I read through your response, it reminded me of what Steve said yesterday in our socials class. He talked about the transition that has happened over time, from a strictly black and white way of thinking to a grey area. I wonder if the teachers in this case study are holding onto this “black and white” way of thinking, whereas the students, growing up in this generation, have adapted the more grey area way of thinking. It seems to me, that the younger generation of people are much more open-minded. They are willing to accept changes in “norms” and are also more willing to embrace the differences in others.  I believe that this willingness to be flexible in our thinking is something we should all strive to obtain.